Friday 8 November 2013

[S] HIDDEN GEM IN THE WEST - FUKUYA JAPANESE RESTAURANT

In Japanese, Fuku means Happiness while ya refers to House, and when directly translated Fukuya simply means Happiness House. This happiness house silently reside in Jurong Country Club. I would never had expected good food to  be inside a Country Club since I stereotyped it as where the rich golfers will go until I personally tried the food there myself. It's like a hidden gems waiting to be discovered by food lovers.

Fukuya offers a wide variety of options for those craving authentic Japanese cuisine in utterly perfect presentation. The dishes served are photo-worthy as it's often decorated with flowers or edible garnishes on exquisite dining wares. Jap-food lover you just had to add this one in your 'to-eat-list'. 

It's best to start off with Zensai, another term for Appetizer
Seafood Mayo on Fresh Salad - $10.80
Mixture of two types of seaweed, the green and brown one which I hardly see it in the market (probably just me), topped with my favourite seafood mayo~ The seaweed is really salty but crunchy if you tried eating it separately. However, once combined with the seafood mayo, you won't really feel that it's overpowering, instead it brings out an unique taste to the dish.

Dobin Mushi - $10.80 
Teapot Soup
I had never tried something like this before, and it's quite a cool concept of having your soup served. It's sweet and refreshing. Ingredients looks simple, mainly consisted of mushrooms and oysters, but brought out the best of out it. Two ways to savour this, by adding the lime or skipping it. I tried both methods and preferred having my soup without lime.

Sashimi - $68.80
Fukuya Tokusen Platter (7 kinds)
Toro, Uni, Botan Ebi, Salmon Belly, Katsuo Tataki, Shima Aji and Tai
Not a fan of raw food, and my favourite food in a sushi bar is all the cooked food like crab-sticks, unagi and stuffs, but decided to give it a chance and I'm glad I did. All their sashimi are super fresh as it's all imported from Japan. It brings out the true definition of 'fresh saltwater' because you literally can taste it. It's worth every cent in your pocket, and everyone is all like I am going to come back to get this after they get their bonus.

Yakimono - $20.80
Gintara Mentaiyaki (All time favourite)
It's the store's all time favourite, and no doubt mine as well. Grilled fish with mentaiyaki on banana leaf. Their mentaiyaki is thick and creamy and the banana leaf underneath gave it a little burnt feeling which enhance the taste and smell even better like how food being cooked under charcoal flames.
Absolutely a must-try vote from me.

Fukuya Aburi Sushi Mori (5 kinds) - $28.80
Salmon, Anugu, Akami, Buri Belly, Unkun Uni & Ikura Topping
Everyone there was trying to convince me it wasn't spicy and stuffs, and I did finish all the sushi that are sadly all coated with wasabi except the unkun uni(sea urchin) one, by gulping water. I have to say that they are using authentic wasabi as it's not spicy and does not sting the eyes, it's just that the smell of wasabi that I disliked about. Nevertheless, the dish is much raved about and each sushi has its individual sauce and there is no need for soy sauce. I guess it's bad luck I couldn't enjoy this pretty much.

Menrui - $26.80
Fukuya Seafood Ramen (Small)
This bowl of awesomeness is called small, and I think it takes two to finished it. Now I cannot imagine how many could their 'big' portion feeds. Do not be fooled by the colour of the ramen, it's not spicy at all, and surprisingly it's sweet. Vegetables, seafood are all tossed inside to create this sweet yet rich flavouring pumpkin-taste-alike soup. As you can see, the ingredients  are super fresh and generously spread around the chewy noodles.

Kyoho Ice Cream with Kuri Kanronni - $8.80
Japanese Grape Flavour with Boiled Chestnuts
As usual, something I have been waiting for since the start because I am a sucker for desserts and I love KYOHO GRAPES. The sweetness is just right for me and it is as smooth as Gelato, while the chestnut adds texture to the smooth ice-cream. It's a unique combination as I have never expected chestnuts to go well with grapes but it did.

Look at how happy everyone is after the dining experience at Fukuya. For me, food is not necessary the most important key attributes to define a good restaurant, instead the service is. Their Chef Ah Beng is really humorous and friendly around us, get to know him well and he will provide you with special dishes that are not listed in the menu. Chef Ah Beng enjoys having close relationships with his customers.

 I had a great yet different kind of experience there, and I believe you guys should try it too. It's always more difficult to find places with good food and good services. If you happened to be hanging around Singapore Science Centre or Jurong Country Club drop by and enjoy a feast of authentic Jap food.



FUKUYA JAPANESE RESTAURANT
Location : Jurong Country Club, 9 Science Centre Road, Jurong East, 509078
Phone : 6897 1990
Mon to Sun: 1200 - 1500 (last order by 1430)
Mon to Sun: 1800 - 2200 (last order by 2130)

No comments:

Post a Comment